Friday, August 21, 2009

Chicken Soup with Dumplings....

So, yesterday for dinner, I got brave. A fellow Stephanie (what an awesome name, no?) gave me a recipe for Chicken Soup with Dumplings (from scratch). Not like: Step 1) open can; Step 2) pour into sauce pan; Step 3) heat until hot. Like, "cut up veggies, cook chicken," etc. I know! Haaard. Well, compared to what I'm used which basically consists of: "Step 1) Open can..."

Well, I've already decided that I'm gonna attempt to become a domestic diva, using my sister-in-law as my idol. So, I dug in, and being a Capricorn (and stubborn as a mule, thanks mom and dad), I wasn't going to give up until I'd either made some delish soup, or burned the kitchen down. I brought the recipe with me, and bought all the supplies (minus the celery...ick) and squared off with the stove.

After following the recipe, almost to a T, and burning my poor pinky finger badly, I made some absolutely delicious soup! This soup is perfect for a rainy day, or a sick stomach.

Here's the recipe, feel free to tweak, like I did:

Ingredients:
For the Soup:
2lb bag of baby carrots cut in half
1 bunch of celery chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 bag of frozen green beans
2 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper to taste
chicken and beef granules/broth
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12-15 cups of water

For the Dumplings:
3 cups flour
3 eggs
1 cup water
salt to taste

Cook the chicken in a skillet. While chicken is cooking, combine all veggies in a pot. Add the water, garlic, salt, pepper, chicken/beef granules/broth. Cube chicken and add to soup. Bring soup to a boil and continue to boil until all vegetables are cooked.

While the soup boils, make the dumplings. Bring a pot of water to boil. Mix all dumpling ingredients and drop by small spoonfuls into boiling water. Once dumplings float, transfer them to the soup. Mix well.

Allow soup to simmer one hour on low. Enjoy
----

If you have a favorite recipe to share, feel free to email it to me. I'm always looking for tasty treats to try.


No comments:

Post a Comment